Produced by Madlib | Album: Yessir Whatever | June 18, 2013
Album comes with peel-off cover sticker revealing Quasimoto’s guts.
Asian American Studies After Critical Mass
Immigrant youth, families & community members, including activists from the California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance, greeted President Obama on the way to a DNC fundraiser in Santa Monica, California today demanding an immediate stop to deportations.
The Obama administration has deported more than 1.7 million people throughout his presidency. If these rates continue, nearly as many people will have been deported under his administration than during the years of 1892 to 1997.
The number of deportations is set to reach 2 million by 2014.
Meet Deric Lostutter, a 26-year-old cybersecurity consultant who also goes by the moniker “KYAnonymous.” Lostutter obtained and published tweets and Instagram photos in which members of the Steubenville High School football team joked about an incident in which a 16-year-old girl was raped.
Lostutter’s actions inspired a group of people to take justice into their own hands. A hacker called “Bobcat” vandalized the Facebook page of the Steubenville football team. Other hackers took similar action.
It’s unclear if Lostutter participated in any hacking shenanigans, but if he’s indicted and found guilty of any, he faces 10 years in jail. By comparison, the Steubenville rapists received one- and two-year sentences each.
Ten rape prevention tips:
1. Don’t put drugs in women’s drinks.
2. When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.
3. If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to rape her.
4. If you are in an elevator and a woman gets in, don’t rape her.
5. When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her.
6. Never creep into a woman’s home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or rape her.
7. Remember, people go to the laundry room to do their laundry. Do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.
8. Use the Buddy System! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from raping women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you at all times.
9. Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.
10. Don’t forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don’t pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be raping her later. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.
The report finds that between 2001 and 2010, there were over 8 million marijuana arrests in the United States, 88% of which were for possession. Marijuana arrests have increased between 2001 and 2010 and now account for over half [52%] of all drug arrests in the United States, and marijuana possession arrests account for nearly half [46%] of all drug arrests. In 2010, there was one marijuana arrest every 37 seconds, and states spent combined over $3.6 billion enforcing marijuana possession laws.
The report also finds that, on average, a black person is 3.73 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than a white person, even though blacks and whites use marijuana at similar rates. Such racial disparities in marijuana possession arrests exist in all regions of the country, in counties large and small, urban and rural, wealthy and poor, with large and small black populations.
Update June 02 2013, al-Jazeera:Tens of thousands of people have taken to the streets in Turkey’s four biggest cities and clashed with riot police firing tear gas for a third day in the fiercest anti-government demonstrations in years.
The din of car horns and residents banging pots and pans from balconies in support of the protests has been resonating across neighbourhoods in Istanbul, Turkey’s largest city, and the capital, Ankara, late into the night.
For much of Sunday, the atmosphere in Istanbul’s Taksim Square was festive, with some people chanting for Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the prime minister, to resign and others dancing. There was little obvious police presence.
But in the nearby Besiktas neighbourhood, riot police fired tear gas and water cannons to keep crowds away from Erdogan’s office in Dolmabahce Palace, a former Ottoman residence on the shores of the Bosphorus.
There were similar scenes in Ankara’s main Kizilar Square, with police raiding a shopping complex in the city’s centre and detaining several hundred.
Al Jazeera’s Anita McNaught, reporting from near Erdogan’s office in Istanbul late on Sunday night, said: “The demonstrators took a mechanical digger and used it to break through police lines, right up to a government building. They took large trucks as well, one of which was filled with paving stones.
“But the police came back and redoubled their efforts to contain them, pushing the protesters back….
[In Full @ al-Jazeera]